HOW Design University (HOW U) is an online education program from the publishers of HOW magazine. HOW U provides in-depth learning opportunities for busy creative professionals, on your own schedule and in a variety of formats. Our online learning workshops
independent study programs, Design Tutorials and On-Demand Video Tutorials explore topics that are key to your career growth and success. We offer professional-level continuing education to help you sharpen your skills, strengthen your client partnerships and improve your value to your employer.
A comprehensive look at the fundamentals of typography and letterforms.
Type is at the heart of all forms of visual communication. In this course, instructor Denise Bosler expands upon the foundations of typography, and provides an understanding of type as a means of creating a visual experience. Learn about organization, relationships, composition, message, experimentation and using expressive typography to solve complex visual problems. Relevant design history and theory are examined in relation to these ideas as well. You’ll have the opportunity to broaden your overall understanding of type, and then dig in and push the limits of your typographic creativity!
In this course you’ll learn:
- Get an overview of the foundations including letterforms and the history of typography
- Explore typographic organization and page layout
- Learn to balance form and function in typographic problem solving
- Visualize abstract concepts through experimental typography and layout
Who should take this course:
- In-house and agency designers
- In-house managers
- Creative freelancers
- Mastering Type: The Essential Guide to Typography by Denise Bosler is available atMyDesignShop.com. Content from the book is included in the course, but students are encouraged to purchase their own copy. Get a code for 20% off at registration!
- LESSON 1: Back to typography basics
- LESSON 2: Page layout and composition
- LESSON 3: Creative type integration
- LESSON 4: Experimental and expressive typography
- Register Now